This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Hannah Madden. Hannah Madden is a writer, editor, and artist currently living in Portland, Oregon. In 2018, she graduated from Portland State University with a B.S. in Environmental Studies. Hannah enjoys writing articles about conservation, sustainability, and eco-friendly products. When she isn’t writing, you can find Hannah working on hand embroidery projects and listening to music.
There are 10 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 89% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status.
This article has been viewed 166,707 times.
No matter why you’re shaving your head, doing it can feel liberating. While it might take some time to get used to, your newfound baldness can absolutely be beautiful, and you might even feel more confident than before! Read through some of these tips and tricks to learn how you can look and feel your best without a full head of hair.
1 1 of 10:Emphasize your features with makeup. Download Article
- If you like makeup, now’s your time to experiment. Emphasize your eyes with false lashes, black eyeliner, and smokey eyeshadow. Draw attention to your lips with a bold lipstick and shiny gloss. Highlight your cheekbones with a bit of bronzer and blush to really round out your look.XResearch source If you’re wearing foundation, be sure to blend it down your neck and behind your ears, since all your skin is exposed now!XResearch source
- If you don’t like makeup, you definitely don’t have to wear it. Makeup is a personal choice, and you shouldn’t feel like you have to try it.
2 2 of 10:Wear clothing that makes you feel good. Download Article
- Your confidence will skyrocket when your outfit looks great. When you’re going out, put on a dress or a skirt that makes you feel awesome. If you’re just hanging with friends, throw on a T-shirt and jeans that fit you perfectly. You can spend a longer time on your look when you don’t have to worry about doing your hair!XResearch source
3 3 of 10:Moisturize your scalp if it feels dry. Download Article
- Some women deal with cradle cap or dandruff. If that’s the case, rub an unscented lotion onto your scalp, like Epaderm, Hydromol, or Doublebase. It will help protect your scalp and keep your skin from drying out.XTrustworthy SourceCancer Research UKU.K.-based cancer research and advocacy charityGo to source
- It might also help to cover your head in the sun. Your scalp can burn easily, and a sunburn on top of your head can get itchy.
4 4 of 10:Do a photoshoot. Download Article
- Get glammed up and show off your bald head. Put on an outfit that makes you feel great and hire a professional photographer to capture your beauty. You could go out into nature or stay in a studio to get fun images that make you feel great.XResearch source
- If you have any bald friends, consider asking them to come along for the photoshoot. Make it a fun day full of laughter and friends to really boost your confidence.
5 5 of 10:Fake your confidence. Download Article
- You won’t feel confident every day, and that’s okay. It’s the same for people who aren’t bald—sometimes you have to fake it until you make it. If you wake up one morning and really aren’t feeling yourself, just pretend like you are! Eventually, your fake confidence will turn into real confidence.XResearch source
- You might have to fake it a lot in the beginning, and that’s okay. Being bald can be tough to get used to, so give yourself a bit of time.
6 6 of 10:Laugh off comments. Download Article
- You may get comments or questions about your bald head. If friends or family members ask, feel free to explain why you went bald or chose to shave your head. If strangers on the street say anything, you can diffuse the situation with humor or ignore them completely.XResearch source
- For example, if someone on the street comments on your baldness, you could touch your head and say "What?! Where’d all my hair go?!"
7 7 of 10:Connect with other bald women. Download Article
- Surround yourself with a support system of bald, beautiful women. If you don’t know anyone else who is bald in real life, try searching on social media. You can look through hashtags like #BaldIsBeautiful and #BaldWoman to find other people going through the same thing as you.XResearch source
- If you lost your hair due to illness or chemotherapy, you can also find specific support groups online to connect with similar people.
8 8 of 10:Experiment with wigs. Download Article
- Try out a new hairstyle you’ve never had before. If you want to, try getting a few wigs in all different lengths, styles, and colors. You don’t have to wear one every day, but you can try them out when you want to dress up or look a little different.XResearch source
- Try buying wigs made out of real human hair so they look more realistic.
9 9 of 10:Get a head tattoo. Download Article
- Your scalp is free to experiment with. If you already have tattoos, try adding to your collection with a piece on the side of your head. It’s a fun way to express yourself that not everyone can do.XResearch source
- Keep in mind that head tattoos might not be considered appropriate for a professional environment. If you have a job or plan on getting one in the future, a head tattoo might not be the best option for you.
10 10 of 10:Put on a headscarf or a head wrap. Download Article
- Cover your head while staying fashionable. If you’re feeling chilly or you want to cover up your scalp, try putting on a silk headscarf or wearing a long head wrap. In the winter, go for a cotton or a wool one to keep your head warm. These fun garments are a great way to spice up your bald head and add some variety to your everyday look.XTrustworthy SourceBreastCancer.orgPatient-focused nonprofit organization providing resources for those affected by breast cancerGo to source
- You could also try a wide headband or a beanie to cover your head.
About This Article
Reader Success Stories
- "I shaved my hair for charity almost a year ago. I loved the look so much I've kept it this way. My confidence has improved immensely and have had many positive comments. I had some negative comments, but I really don't care what those people think, they are not important. For those thinking of shaving their heads: go for it. It's a wonderful feeling and a great look. "..." more