This article was co-authored by Tara Divina. Tara Divina is a California-based Vedic Astrologer. Vedic Astrology, also known as Jyotish, is an ancient, sacred art of self-understanding and divination. With nearly 10 years of experience, Tara gives personalized readings that answer her clients' biggest questions about relationships, money, purpose, career, and other big life decisions.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has 14 testimonials from our readers, earning it our reader-approved status.
This article has been viewed 1,746,338 times.
Has anyone ever guessed your astrological sign? It's an amazing feat to perform and it requires research, practice, and some luck! While not everyone believes this is possible or that the Zodiac has any meaning, here are some tips from those who believe it can be done. Always remember, though, that this is just based on sun signs. When considering Ascending/Rising signs, things are different since the ascending sign of someone represents how they appear to someone before we get to know them. Moon signs are not considered in this article since they are the person's inner personality, emotions, and reactions to certain things in their life, so keep in mind your ultimate goal when trying to determine someone's Zodiac sign and remember, a guess has a one in 12 chance of bring correct!
Part 1Part 1 of 4:Astrology Basics
- 1Learn the basics about astrological personality traits. Study the different traits that are usually attributed to each sign. An easy way to remember these traits is to think about people that you know in each sign. Think about how they do or don't fit into the categorization of their sign. The more you compare people you know to the descriptions of their signs, the easier it will be to keep an idea in mind about what each sign is like.
- 2Learn Aries traits. These individuals often have a very forceful confrontational voice. They are stubborn, egoistical, who show-off. They are fiercely independent, extremely competitive, freedom-loving, adventurous, enthusiastic, bold, athletic, impulsive, reckless, dynamic, powerful, overly-confident, loud, blunt, hasty, hard-headed, stubborn, strong-willed, hot-tempered, rude, selfish, impulsive, enterprising, risk-takers, and challengers. Aries tend to act first and think later.Advertisement
- 3Learn Taurus traits. People born under this sign love nice things; they can come across as extremely materialistic, or as people who enjoy the finer things in life. They are sometimes slow to act, great at managing money, lovers of the outdoors (and of doing outdoor activities such as farming or gardening), very practical and down to earth. Taurus people typically dislike change.
- 4Learn Gemini traits. Geminis are usually good arguers, witty, adaptive, flirtatious, playful (but may come across as offensive), tricksters, inconsistent, easy to please, intellectual, chatty, quick-witted, social butterflies, knowledge-seeking, and changeable. They typically like reading, writing, and mental games, and are great at multitasking.
- 5Learn Cancer traits. They are very sensitive (with unpredictable moods), romantic, nice, sweet, caring and nurturing, motherly, and homey. Cancer individuals like home-cooked meals and quality family time; they are socially conservative, and withdraw from the scene when hurt or offended.
- 6Learn Leo traits. Leos are loving and sensitive leaders. Leos love children, enjoy luxury and jewelry, and have a bigger-than-life dramatic attitude. Leos are show-offs, egoistical, dominant, powerful, determined, charismatic, very demanding, athletic, smart, arrogant, pompous, conceited, temperamental, competitive, passionate, stubborn, loud, loyal, strong-willed, and usually laid-back, but can be highly aggressive or even potentially destructive. They typically want to be the center of attention and have a tremendous sense of vitality.
- 7Learn Virgo traits. These individuals are usually considered perfectionists, critical, detail-oriented, fastidious, practical, intelligent, sharp-witted, with keen intellect and powers of observation, shrewd, and penetrating. They have great mental dexterity and try to live healthy lifestyles. They can be judgmental, opinionated, naturally shy, and organized. Virgos often like order and cleanliness, and they know how to effectively prove their point in an argument.
- 8Learn Libra traits. Those born under the sign of Libra are intelligent, charming, flirtatious, frivolous, graceful, loyal and diplomatic. They like equality, justice, beauty, and beautiful things. They are usually considered social butterflies, polite, gracious, pleasantly mannered, idealistic, and peaceful.
- 9Learn Scorpio traits. Scorpios are secretive, passionate, confident, loyal, athletic, hyper-sensitive, mysterious, penetrating, investigative, magnetic, strong-willed, resilient, powerful, sexual, resourceful, jealous, possessive, controlling, hot-tempered and revengeful. They typically have high levels of self-mastery in all areas. Scorpios are very private although they often seem like they're an open book. The are fascinated with topics of death and rebirth, this could be in any form, not necessarily human. It could be about giving up a possession or a job, or just changing the furniture arrangement in the house.
- 10Learn Sagittarius traits. They are adventurous, independent, friendly, enthusiastic, broad-minded, overly-optimistic, brave, intelligent, love theory, tend to apply textbook theory to their pursuits, tend to be over-achievers, charismatic, flirtatious, rebellious, and freedom-seeking. Sagittariuses dislike restrictions. They can be very cold when their freedom is challenged. They are talkative (although some are shy but even those ones open up a great deal when they begin to connect with someone), natural entertainers, impulsive, exaggerating, over-indulgent, blunt, risk-takers, with a childlike wonder. Sagittarius people are always hungry for knowledge, opportunistic, philanthropic, and philosophical.
- 11Learn Capricorn traits. Capricorns are ambitious, determined, patient, mature, powerful, achiever, mysterious (disappearing), reserved, and detached, cautious, hot-tempered generous hard workers. They are usually very ambitious and enjoy responsibility. They are self-disciplined and respect authority. They are career-oriented, with a remarkable capacity for endurance and patience. They possess a tough exterior to prevent others from hurting them. Inside the mysterious Capricorn is a charming and passionate human. They also possess a remarkable sense of humour.
- 12Learn Aquarius traits. Aquarius people love to help others. They are liberal, democratic, humanitarians who are broad-minded and enjoy social equality. They are considered reformers, but can be cold and indifferent. They are often eccentric, erratic, rebellious, unpredictable, highly opinionated, original, one-of-a-kind, friendly, sharp-tongued, idealistic, inventive, quick to change their minds, and resolute.
- 13Learn Pisces traits. Independent, determined and innovative. They are highly creative, smart, passionate, sensitive and friendly. They like to take care of others, but are often viewed as offensive because of their changing temperaments.
Part 2Part 2 of 4:Physical Traits of Signs
- 1Examine their appearance. Each sign has several physical attributes commonly associated with it. Look at the person carefully and see if any of the following descriptions are true for them. What strikes you most about how they look?
- Usually the ascendant influences the physical appearance more dominantly so you may be able to guess that using physical traits and not the sun sign (which is the typical zodiac determined by your birth date alone).
- 2Learn the physical traits of Aries. These traits include high set and narrow facial bones, broad foreheads, rosy cheeks, strong, well-proportioned body, above or below average height, and dark or sandy colored hair, strong eyebrows (not necessarily large though, they're often extremely thin but very notable), as well as clear and penetrating eyes which are often close-set.
- 3Learn the physical traits of Taurus. Taurus is ruled by Venus so these people will often be very attractive overall. Taurus people usually appear innocent, with childlike eyes, full lips, small/even teeth, with thick hair and strongly defined jawlines. Their bodies tend to be quite square overall. They typically have low foreheads, slightly thicker than usual necks, and attractive faces. They hold a steady eye contact which feels comforting instead of alarming. It always seems like their eyes are there to help you.
- 4Learn the physical traits of Gemini. A mischievous smile, full lips, average height, and a well-proportioned chin are standard characteristics of Geminis. They usually have high cheekbones and a youthful appearance, often large eyes. They are typically thin or even bird-boned, with pointy features, long fingers, a jaunty walk, and bright and sparkling eyes. They usually have a great fashion sense. They have a great ability to mimic things such as expressions. Their mimicking ability can help you distinguish one.
- 5Learn the physical traits of Cancer. Cancers have far-apart eyes and innocent facial features. They are of below-average height, have a fleshy body and short legs, usually with brown hair, a round face, and a prominent forehead. They have a peculiar smile, their lips go up a little at the sides when they smile. They usually have very rounded bodies. All their features are very soft looking (unlike Aries). Their eyes are typically small, with a small or average-sized nose, and a full mouth.
- 6Learn the physical traits of Leo. Leos are known for their glamorous, thick, mane-like dark hair, large dark eyes, proud and confident expression which usually results includes their chin going up a little (resembles a lion), Leo is one of the attractive signs, but they can sometimes have bad luck. They may get irritated and have a prominent nose. They are typically tall with thin waists, trim athletic legs, slightly thicker calves, broad shoulders, and muscular bodies. Leo rules the upper back so their backs are muscular looking. Leos are the type to have a Leo symbol tattoo. They also have a very dramatic appearance.
- 7Learn the physical traits of Virgo. Virgos are typically fair, with clean-looking skin, a roundish head, and delicately-shaped lips. They have large and expressive eyes with an outward apex and strong symmetrically refined features. Virgos are always seem very clean and well groomed.
- 8Learn the physical traits of Libra. Libras are ruled by Venus so they're going to be very attractive. Libras have dimples on the cheeks, nose, knees, or elbows, with chiseled lips, a roundish head, pretty face, thin nose, and generally refined and well balanced features. They often have the visible teeth at the sides pretty sharp and they stand out (notice Avril Lavigne) - They share this trait with Virgos too! They make lots of facial and hand gestures while talking and have a loud, ringing laugh.
- 9Learn the physical traits of Scorpio. They have strong features, intense hypnotic penetrating eyes that could burn holes in your soul, glowing tan almost oily skin, and a fixed expression. They have straight noses, the thickness from top to bottom tends to stay almost uniform (they are thicker from up high itself).They tend to have very dark hair. Prominent front two teeth, a bit longer, kind of like bunnies. There's something very sexy about this sign, and it's not necessarily in their physical appearance although it's definitely there.
- 10Learn the physical traits of Sagittarius. Sagittarius people have long faces, chiseled jawlines, usually with a large and well-shaped skull. They have laughing eyes, like that of a child, eminent when they smile or laugh. Many of them have fine lines at the outer ends of the eyes which appear when laughing, the lines run along the length of the eyes outward near the sides. Large teeth, not uncommon to have a gap in between, but in a beautiful way. They have a high, broad forehead, a wide and infectious smile, and a tall well-formed figure with strong legs. They are usually good runners. They often have long arms (Notice Brad Pitt's 3/4th side pose from fight club). They usually have a loud, booming voice.
- 11Learn the physical traits of Capricorn. They typically have a chiseled, certain face, doe-like steady eyes, and brown or dark hair. Their hands are capable, and they have prominent cheek bones. Their faces aren't usually very expressive but their eyes can have a very serious and grown-up kind of feel to them. Even when laughing, their eyes seem quite restrained.
- 12Learn the physical traits of Aquarius. Key characteristics of Aquarius people include a friendly but aloof expression, large and rounded eyes, and finely chiseled facial features. Aquarians also have uncommon noses and have lips that are full at the center and thin out toward the edges. Aquarius usually has something distinct and somewhat strange about their appearance (like a disproportionate feature, color of their hair - natural or artificial, or an odd walking pattern etc.)
- 13Learn the physical traits of Pisces. They typically have innocent features, eyes with a delicate and feminine expression. Pisces natives tend to have petite features. They have a gentle look about them. Their expression is often very dreamy and disconnected. They can lean toward corpulence (obesity) in their later years.
- 14Learn characteristics of the face. People born in the Spring tend to have an attractive face (not necessarily handsome or pretty, just striking): Aries, Taurus, and Gemini.
- 15Learn characteristics of the hair. People born in the Summer tend to have exceptional skin and hair (hair does not have to be straight, just glamorous): Cancer, Leo, and Virgo.
- 16Learn characteristics of movements. People born in the Fall tend to have natural, attractive gestures, looks, and movements: Libra, Scorpio, and Sagittarius.
- 17Learn characteristics of the body. People born in the winter usually have strong, attractive bodies: Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces.
Part 3Part 3 of 4:Other Astrological Groupings
- 1Learn the Fire characteristics. Aries, Leo, Sagittarius: These people are physical and active. They tend to be rude and selfish, headstrong, confident, talented, charismatic, sociable, in good shape, and into sports. In a word, they are the doers.
- 2Learn the Earth characteristics. Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn: These people are physical and passive. They are perfectionists, hard-working, and tend to be introverted. They are confident, reliable, consistent, and understanding of many things. They're often overlooked but they, in a lot of ways, hold society together. In a word, they are the back-bone.
- 3Learn the Air characteristics. Gemini, Libra, Aquarius: These people are mental and active. They are intelligent, interested in knowledge, energetic, charming, and good with words. They tend to be too changeable, articulate, and optimistic. In a word, they are the thinkers.
- 4Learn the Water characteristics. Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces: These people are emotional and passive. They are emotionally sensitive, and deep. They are capable of powerful thoughts and actions; they are passionate and sexual. They are very intuitive and can almost seem psychic. In a word, they are the feelers.
- 5Learn about astrological masculinity/femininity. It has little to do with being macho or girly. In fact, men with astrological femininity often compensate by acting macho (working out, claiming to be promiscuous or tough) and women with astrological masculinity often compensate by acting "girly" (wearing "girly" clothes and makeup, claiming to be emotional).
- Astrologically masculine qualities: Independence, dating a lot, they may come off as rude to those that don't understand them but in reality they just stand up for what they think is right, traveling a lot, and preferring to pursue people; being energetic, active, headstrong, talkative, confident, open-minded, sexual, and flirtatious.
- Astrologically feminine qualities: Preferring long-term relationships, preferring to stay at home, needing more sleep, and preferring to be pursued; being methodical, considerate, reliable, kind, stubborn, polite, and shy.
Part 4Part 4 of 4:Distinguishing Between Signs
- 1Look for people with strong personalities. Are they confident in their habits? Do they display distinct qualities that most people do not possess? Do you know the person rather well? If so, this person may be a good candidate for analysis. On the other hand, does the person tend to act like everyone else? Is the person shy? Is the person quiet?EXPERT TIPTara Divina is a California-based Vedic Astrologer. Vedic Astrology, also known as Jyotish, is an ancient, sacred art of self-understanding and divination. With nearly 10 years of experience, Tara gives personalized readings that answer her clients' biggest questions about relationships, money, purpose, career, and other big life decisions.Tara Divina
Use psychological clues to find out someone's sign. Think about how the person thinks about and relates to the world. For example, if they stop to analyze everything and seem like they're stuck in their head, they might be a Gemini or Virgo.
- 2Compare them to people you know. Think about people you know very well and compare this person to them. Consider many personality traits, physical traits, and how they respond to stress. Compare this information to people that you know intimately to help you guess their sign.
- 3Observe their behavior. It is especially important to observe their behavior while they are in conflicts or while working in groups. We all learn to hide our inner feelings to some degree while in public. People usually display their astrological traits in relationships and tense interactions.
- For example, Aries' first reaction when faced with conflict is to yell or threaten, Gemini will talk his/her way out of it, Cancer usually responds with an emotional outburst, Taurus responds to conflict with silence and a posture of strength, etc.
- Cardinal (Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn): These people usually responds to conflict with a bold, decisive, instinctive action in an attempt to trump the assault. They are easily motivated to start tasks.
- Fixed (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius): These people tend to hold in their reaction and respond that the attempt to hurt them was futile, with passive aggressive behavior or with silence. They concentrate on finishing things well.
- Mutable (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces): These people tend to be artful with conflicts, and are known to try to avoid arguments. They are good at motivating people.
- 4Pay attention to the age of the person's sign. Aries is considered the youngest, while Pisces is the oldest. The younger signs tend to display quick tempers and be more selfish and eager to learn while the older signs are wiser, more compassionate and more set in their ways. This is where people get the term old soul.
- 5Practice guessing people's signs. Base your prediction from your study of astrology. The average guesser should have a 1/12 guess rate, but any study of astrology, however small, will improve on the 1/12 rate. Keep studying astrology from experts and from your own observations and your "guessing" will be 1/11 - 1/10.
- 6Ask the person's birthday and birth time. This will help you verify your guesses and improve your skills. You can use Google to find a birth chart calculator.
Community Q&A Did you know you can get expert answers for this article?Unlock expert answers by supporting wikiHow
- QuestionHow do you know someone's zodiac sign?Tara DivinaTara Divina is a California-based Vedic Astrologer. Vedic Astrology, also known as Jyotish, is an ancient, sacred art of self-understanding and divination. With nearly 10 years of experience, Tara gives personalized readings that answer her clients' biggest questions about relationships, money, purpose, career, and other big life decisions.
Vedic AstrologerVedic AstrologerExpert Answer
- QuestionWhat is the best thing about a Scorpio?Community AnswerScorpios are extremely determined and don't give up. They are emotional yet strong, and they are genuine.
- QuestionCan a Sagittarius boy love a Libra girl?Community AnswerSince astrological signs are a bit of fun and are not to take place of the usual, sensible ways of selecting a partner. So yes, your match can work provided you are compatible in sufficient ways, such as having similar interests, faiths and goals. Note too, that everyone has multiple signs besides that (moon, mercury, etc).
- QuestionWhat will be the best match for a Capricorn?Community AnswerOther Earth signs (Taurus and Virgo) are the safest bet, as they tend to get along and experience the world in a similar way. However, connecting with a Water sign like Scorpio or Pisces might also be a good option. You would have to be understanding as Water signs may have more deeply felt emotions about things than you, but you might find yourself growing more as a person being in a relationship with them. It really just depends on what you're looking for.
- QuestionHow compatible are a Cancer woman and a Pisces man?Community AnswerThey are extremely compatible. The two signs are both water signs, very emotional and creative.
- QuestionCan a Cancer man love an Aries girl?Community AnswerAnybody can love anyone. As for compatibility, Cancer and Aries aren't the best match. Cancers are "rounded," family oriented, attached, and known for sensitivity, soft spots and a tendency to overthink. Aries are known rather blunt, direct, ambitious, and aren't the most family oriented of people. They would rather be independent, and in many cases, would like to have an independent, non-clingy partner.
- QuestionIs an Aquarius more compatible with a Gemini or a Libra?Community AnswerGemini, due to the fact that Aquarius tends to be detached, and Libra tends to need more attention, whereas Gemini are always in their own world.
- QuestionMy friend acts the opposite of her sign. Nobody would guess. What if other people are the same?Community AnswerMaybe your friend is the opposite of his/her sun sign, but I am sure that your friend has at least a few similarities that match his/her sun sign, moon sign, or rising sign. It's just that your friend is a little unique. Don't stress out over not getting the perfect guess on a person's sign. It takes practice, you'll get the hang of it.
- QuestionCan a male Aquarius and a female Cancer form a strong relationship?Community AnswerYes. Anyone of any sign can form a strong relationship with anyone of any other, as long as both partners can fall in love with one another and have similar relationship goals.
- QuestionCan a Sagittarius man and a Cancer woman form a long-lasting relationship?Community AnswerThey can, but if you want to look at love compatibility, you have to look at their Venus signs. In love, it's the Venus sign that determines the whole of the relationship, while the Sun determines how they act toward one another.
- You can just ask what people's birthdays are, and if they act like it's creepy just tell them that you really like astrology. Most people think it's cool or don't mind at the least. Be careful who you talk to about it though (if you don't want to offend people) because some religious types or belief systems are close-minded to it. And if they think you're weird, try to tap into that Aquarius spirit that doesn't care what they think.
- Sometimes Libra and Aquarius are difficult to tell apart. The easiest way to tell them apart is Libra will try to fit in and put their relationships first. Aquarius will stand out, go against common expectations and put their individuality (and others) first.
- Don't give up if you are wrong on the first try.
- For practice, guess someone's sign to yourself and then ask their birthday to check and see if you're right. Most people will think you are small-talking and not think anything of it.
- Sometimes people, particularly on the cusp, will display the qualities of a neighboring sign. Virgo is usually shy and reserved, and she'll usually be attracted to Capricorn or Scorpio. Similarly, Aries and Gemini can be equally as enthusiastic about food and drink as Taurus, but their focus is usually on other things. It's not uncommon for your guess to be one off. A person's sign traits will come out when they are in their natural state — when they are not trying too hard.
- Each sun sign gives off different vibes — very subtle character traits that can't be put into words. Guessing right takes a lot of practice, so don't worry if you guess wrong at first.
- Fire signs are easy to recognize but sometimes difficult to tell apart. Leo cares a lot about his/her image and what other people think, but rarely admits it. Yet, he is usually strong and confident. Sagittarius is good with words, tactful, and coy, but has the same energy, ambition, and independent attitude as Aries. Aries is youthful, impulsive, and aggressive and only cares about what others think when it is necessary.
- Everyone has different birth charts, so not everyone looks and acts in accordance to their birth signs. Also, some people may look and act more like their rising sign or moon sign rather than their sun sign.
- Asking for somebody's birth date and birth time right after you meet them might come across as creepy. Usually their birth date will do unless they are a cusp in between two of the signs.
- Astrology is not infallible. Try to avoid using it to assume every part of someone's personality.
- Astrology may explain behaviours, but it doesn't excuse them.
- If you really love/like someone, don't turn them down because 'Our signs aren't compatible'. Astrology is not a precise thing. Just because you are a Gemini doesn't mean you can't be quiet and reserved or loud as a Libra.
About This Article
Guessing someone’s astrological sign can be a fun challenge. To get started, spend some time researching the personality traits that are associated with each of the signs. For instance, people with Aries as their sun sign have a reputation for being hot-tempered and stubborn, while Scorpios are supposed to be mysterious and passionate. In addition to personality, a person’s sign is also thought to influence their physical traits. For example, if the person has thick, dark hair and dark eyes, you might guess that they are a Leo. On the other hand, someone with dimpled cheeks and a thin nose has traits associated with a Libra. The astrological signs can also be categorized into groups that share certain common characteristics. For instance, fire signs, such as Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, are associated with active, athletic personalities, whereas water signs, such as Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, are connected with more passive traits as well as strong emotional sensitivity. Once you’ve become familiar with the signs and their traits, spend some time observing the person whose sign you want to guess. Ask yourself questions like, “Are they impulsive and spontaneous, or do they tend to think carefully about the possible consequences before they act?” “Are they outgoing and confident, or shy and timid?” or “How do they act when dealing with a conflict or confrontation?” Once you’ve found some answers, check them against the traits you know are associated with each sign. You can also try comparing the person’s behaviors and personality with those of other people you already know—especially if you happen to know their signs. After you’ve made your guess, ask the person to tell you their birth date. Then you can check your guess by finding their sign on a birth chart or zodiac calendar. For more tips, including how to spot masculine and feminine astrological traits, read on!