wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, volunteer authors worked to edit and improve it over time.
Do you want to learn the secret to casting a spell using mystical symbols? Sigils are a powerful way of manifesting goals or significant change in your life by creating a rune based on your intentions. You'll also have creative freedom since the purpose of the sigil (and, therefore, the design) is entirely subjective. Read on, and we'll show you everything you need to know to start making your own sigils—and bring a little magic into your daily life!
Method 1Method 1 of 3:Creating the Sigil
- 1Define your goal or intention. Sigils are meant to be visual representations of your desires; therefore, the first step to making a sigil is identifying why you want to make one. Figure out the energy you want to generate, set a goal you want to reach, or picture the event you want to manifest in your life.XResearch source For example, many people create sigils for:
- 2Write out a phrase, then remove all vowels and repeating letters. Once you know your intention, grab a piece of paper and write it out in a single sentence. Phrase it positively and in the present tense. Then, cross out all the vowels in that sentence, followed by all of the repeating letters (keeping the first repeating letter).XResearch source When you're done, you’ll have one instance of each letter from the original phrase.
- Present-tense means phrasing your desire as though you already have it, using "I am" instead of "I will."
- For example, if you often feel self-conscious and unsure of yourself, you could manifest positive energy with a starting sentence like "I am a confident and capable person."
- Then, distill that sentence down to: "M C N F D N T N D C P B L P R S N" (without vowels).
- Finally, cross out repeating letters to end up with: "M C N F D T P B L R."
- 3Spell 1 word and remove the repeating letters for a more direct intent. Another way to create the sigil is by writing a single word of intent (rather than a whole sentence). This is because a simple, direct purpose is more effective than a complex goal when using sigil magic. Choose one word that expresses your desires and remove any repeating letters—but leave in the vowels for this version of the sigil.XResearch source
- For example, you could pick a word like "prosperity," remove the repeating letters (once again keeping the first instance of each repeating letter), and your final product would be "P R O S E I T Y."
- 4Combine the remaining letters to create a symbol. After determining your selection of letters, you can create the sigil itself. Use the letters from your original statement or word to make the sigil, arranging them creatively and abstractly to create a magical symbol. There's no right way to do this, so come up with a few different designs and then pick the one you like the most.XResearch source
- Feel free to look up other sigils if you need a little inspiration.
- Let your intuition guide you as you develop the sigil. Remember, this is your custom work; if one letter really isn't working, you can leave it out. The intention behind the sigil is more important!
- 5Add stylized elements to develop a dynamic sigil. Your sigil can be more than just letters written upside-down and sideways. Try using both upper and lower-case letters, and add embellishments like swirls and dots. Combine letters that look similar, and don't be afraid to arrange them in a way that makes it hard to identify every letter. The goal is to unleash your inner artist!XResearch source
Method 2Method 2 of 3:Activating the Sigil
- 1Redraw the sigil onto a new piece of paper. After picking the sigil design you like best, transfer it off the scrap paper you've been using and onto another piece of paper to formally activate it. Since you'll be destroying the sigil as part of the activation process, it's a good idea to keep a copy of it saved for the future rather than destroying the original symbol permanently.XResearch source
- Redrawing the sigil can also bring the emotional energy you put into its creation back to your mind.
- If you plan to create other sigils in the future, dedicate a notebook to saving all of your designs.
- 2Find a quiet, calming spot and relax your mind. Make sure that wherever you go is isolated and peaceful enough to let you focus. If you have a sacred space or altar, go there. However, neither is necessary: any place around your home where you can work undisturbed is fine. Then, close your eyes and meditate briefly, focusing on the feeling of your breaths going in and out.XResearch source
- 3Hold the sigil and focus on it. Take a moment to hold the sigil in both hands and stare at it for a few minutes, reflecting on its meaning and significance. Imagine light energy flowing from your hands to the sigil, and keep looking until your vision blurs slightly and the sigil looks a little warped on the page. Once you notice the distortion, it's time to finalize the activation.XResearch source
- 4Burn the sigil in a fire-proof bowl. Light a candle and then use it to set the sigil on fire while holding the paper and candle over the fire-proof bowl. After a few seconds, drop the sigil into the bowl and let it burn. The fire is what charges and activates your sigil, allowing it to take effect in the future.XResearch source
- Make sure there's nothing flammable nearby before you light the candle, and handle the paper carefully. Set it on fire far from where you're holding it to ensure you don't get burned.
- Alternatively, crumple up the piece of paper with the sigil on it and place it inside the fire-proof bowl before setting it on fire.
- 5Forget the sigil. As the sigil burns away, empty it from your mind as well. Don't dwell on it or stress about whether it'll work; the more you think about your sigil, the more difficult it'll be to carry on with your life. Take a moment to appreciate that you have manifested the energy you want to see in your life and let the universe decide what happens next.XResearch source
- Sigil magic is based on the concept of planting an idea in your subconscious and letting your subconscious guide you as a result. It's important to forget the sigil so your conscious mind doesn't unintentionally get in the way.
Method 3Method 3 of 3:Alternative Ways to Activate the Sigil
- 1Create a permanent sigil and store it somewhere meaningful. Permanent sigils are designed to be active indefinitely for long periods. If you want your sigil to give off power continually, find a place for it instead of destroying it. Pick somewhere in your home where the sigil is always visible; you could engrave it on a piece of art or place it with artwork inside a picture frame.XResearch source
- You could also save a picture of the sigil and make it your phone background.
- 2Carve a temporary sigil into a candle and light it. Temporary sigils are intended to disappear and take hold gradually. A candle is a perfect medium for activating a temporary sigil for a few days since it’ll burn down slowly with use. Carve the sigil gently with any fine carving tool, and then go back in and retrace your lines more boldly once the design is in place.XResearch source Light the candle and let the sigil melt away.
- 3Draw a temporary sigil on your body with a washable marker. Wear the sigil on your skin to activate it, and let it fade away naturally with washing and time. Since temporary sigils are supposed to provide energy and power for a brief time, this is a great solution to keep the sigil charged for a few days.XResearch source
- 4Trace a destructible sigil in the air and visualize its destruction. Destructible sigils are designed to give the creator an immediate burst of energy and inspiration. Draw the sigil with a finger, visualizing it as you trace the air, and then push the sigil through an imaginary black hole to evoke its destruction.XResearch source
- Lighting a paper sigil on fire is the most common example of destructible activation, but it doesn't have to be so physical.
- 5Carve a destructible sigil into your food and then eat the food. Another (more tasty) method of activating a destructible sigil is to etch the design into food. Using a knife, toothpick, or any other kitchen tool with a fine point for tracing, carve the sigil into the food you're about to bake, and then keep preparing the dish as normal. Once it's ready, consume the sigil to activate it.XResearch source
- This method of using destructible sigils is just as effective as fire, and a solid choice if you want to incorporate sigil casting into your everyday life.