😳😲😁 This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Hunter Rising. Hunter Rising is a wikiHow Staff Writer based in Los Angeles. He has more than three years of experience writing for and working with wikiHow. Hunter holds a BFA in Entertainment Design from the University of Wisconsin - Stout and a Minor in English Writing.
There are 19 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
The wikiHow Video Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work.
This article has been viewed 38,953 times.
😳😲😁 You've probably used aloe if you've ever needed relief from sunburn, but did you know that it works for a variety of other conditions? Aloe is extremely versatile and can be used as an acne treatment and a moisturizer.XResearch source If you want to make aloe even more effective, you can easily mix it with cosmetic and essential oils. Each oil has its own properties and uses, but we've picked a few of the simplest combinations you can try out to keep your skin and hair healthy!
Method 1Method 1 of 2:Aloe with Cosmetic Oils
- 1Mix aloe with coconut oil for a homemade conditioning mask. Combine 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of aloe vera gel with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of coconut oil. When you want to use it, wash your hair as you normally would first. Then massage the aloe and coconut oil into your scalp and work it down toward the ends of your hair. Keep the conditioner in your hair for 30 minutes before rinsing it out.XResearch source
- Use the hair mask up to twice per week.
- Coconut oil already works great for moisturizing dry or frizzy hair, and adding aloe will only make it work more effectively. XResearch source
- You can also add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of castor oil, a few drops of vitamin E oil, or a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil, like tea tree or lavender.
- 2Moisturize your face with aloe and jojoba oil. Pour 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of aloe gel and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of jojoba oil into a small dropper bottle. Screw on the cap and shake your bottle to thoroughly combine the ingredients. After you wash your face and pat it dry, put a few drops in your hand and rub the aloe and oil directly on your skin. XResearch source
- Aloe will also help treat acne if you use it twice a day.XResearch source
- Jojoba oil is already in a lot of moisturizers and acts as an anti-inflammatory, so it really helps soothe your skin.XTrustworthy SourcePubMed CentralJournal archive from the U.S. National Institutes of HealthGo to source
- Try adding about 6 drops of frankincense essential oil to give your moisturizer a pleasant smell.
- 3Use coconut oil and aloe as shave gel. Coconut oil already moisturizes your skin and the addition of aloe can help prevent razor burn or irritation. Melt 1⁄4 cup (59 ml) of coconut oil on your stove and stir in 1⁄4 cup (59 ml) of pure aloe vera gel. When you’re ready to shave, just scoop some gel out and rub a thin layer over your skin. Let it sit for a few minutes before you start shaving.XResearch source
- You can store your homemade shave gel for up to 2 months at room temperature in a plastic container.
- If your coconut oil hardens or separates, just put a lid on the container and hold it under hot water so it warms up again.
- 4Create insect repellent with aloe and olive oil. Some studies have shown that aloe vera and olive oil applied to your skin can deter mosquitoes. Combine about 0.84 cups (200 ml) of olive oil with 3 tablespoons (44 ml) of aloe vera gel. You can mix the ingredients by hand or use a blender. Rub the mixture on your skin when you’re going outside so you don’t get bitten.XResearch source
- While it is rare, you may get irritated skin from the aloe. If you do, reduce the amount of aloe to 2 tablespoons (30 ml) instead.
- 5Try using castor oil and aloe gel as an anti-aging cream. In a small bottle, combine 9 parts aloe vera gel and 1 part castor oil and shake it together. Keep the mixture in your fridge so it has even more of a cooling effect on your skin. Massage the oil and aloe directly into your skin, especially around your eyes, to help tighten and moisturize your skin.XResearch source
- Avoid using castor oil if you have fungal dermatitis since it could make your condition worse.
- You can try adding more castor oil to thicken the moisturizer and help hold cosmetics better. The consistency just depends on your own personal preference.XResearch source
- Castor oil also has anti-inflammatory properties, so it can help shrink any stretch marks or wrinkles.XResearch source
Method 2Method 2 of 2:Aloe and Essential Oils
- 1Try tea tree oil with aloe to lighten scars and dark spots. If you want to make your own face mask, try mixing 4 tablespoons (59 ml) of aloe gel with just 2 drops of tea tree oil. Apply the aloe mask to any blemishes and let it sit for about 10–15 minutes. Be sure to rinse your skin thoroughly and apply a moisturizer afterwards so your skin doesn’t dry out.XResearch source
- You can also blend in ½ of a peeled cucumber to add potassium and vitamin E to moisturizer.
- Studies have shown that tea tree oil combined with aloe can effectively treat acne, scars, and dark skin.XTrustworthy SourcePubMed CentralJournal archive from the U.S. National Institutes of HealthGo to source
- 2Mix peppermint oil with aloe gel for a daily hair moisturizer. Scoop the gel out from 1 large leave of aloe vera and add it to a blender with 1 cup (240 ml) of water and 3–4 drops of peppermint oil. Blend the ingredients together and strain the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray your hair in the morning and evening to help keep your hair soft.XResearch source
- Keep the mixture in your fridge for up to 1–2 weeks so the aloe doesn’t spoil.
- Some studies have shown that peppermint oil can help stimulate hair growth, so it works perfectly if you want to mix it into a moisturizer.XTrustworthy SourcePubMed CentralJournal archive from the U.S. National Institutes of HealthGo to source
- 3Treat acne with a mix of aloe gel with basil oil. Try adding about 5 drops of basil oil to 1 tablespoon of aloe gel to make a 2% mixture.XResearch source After you wash your face, massage the basil and aloe mixture into your skin. Try to apply the serum twice a day in the morning and again in the evening before bed.XResearch source
- Basil essential oils have anti-inflammatory properties and improve skin conditions like acne, but aloe can make it even more effective.
- 4Soothe inflammation with aloe and lavender oil. Just mix 1 drop of lavender oil in 1 teaspoon (4.9 ml) of aloe gel and stir it together. Put the gel in your fridge for 5 minutes so it has a cooling effect on your skin. Use a cotton swab to rub the gel onto your skin to get relief from inflammation.XResearch source
- While it is rare, you may experience burning, itching, or eczema after applying aloe gel. If you have any of these symptoms, stop using it immediately.XResearch source
- Avoid swallowing essential oils since they could be toxic to your kidneys or have negative interactions with prescription medication.XResearch source
About This Article
You can mix aloe with a variety of cosmetic oils to make a soothing, moisturizing gel. For instance, to make a conditioning mask for your hair, combine equal parts aloe gel and coconut oil. Leave it in your hair for 30 minutes before rinsing it out for soft, hydrated locks. You can also use this mixture as a shaving gel. For a gentle face moisturizer, mix up aloe with a little bit of soothing jojoba oil or castor oil. If mosquitos are bothering you, slather on a combination of aloe gel and olive oil, which may naturally repel them. For more tips, like how to use aloe with essential oils, keep reading!
Reader Success Stories
- "This article provided simple instructions for using aloe and how each recipe helps the body."