wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 360 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.
This article has been viewed 18,724,340 times.
Imagine if you held everything you ever wanted to know about your fate, love life, and personality in the palm of your hand. Palm reading, also known as palmistry or chiromancy, is a mystical art practiced all over the world. It has its roots in Indian astrology and Roman fortune-telling—but you can hop into this ancient tradition today. Whether you're an aspiring palm reader or just looking for a fun way to impress your friends, we’ve got you covered. Read on for palm-reading charts and a complete guide to interpreting palm lines.
Part 1Part 1 of 2:Deciphering the Lines
- 1Choose a hand. In palmistry, it is thought that:
- For females, the right hand is what you're born with, and left is what you've accumulated throughout your life.
- For males, it is the other way around. The left hand is what you're born with, and the right is what you've accumulated throughout your life.
- That being said, you can also choose whichever hand is dominant to be your present/past life hand (the non-dominant hand would then be your future life hand).
- There are different schools of thought on the matter. Some say the left-hand shows potential and what could be -- not necessarily what will be. And a difference in the hands could mean one is or is about to take action when it comes to their lives, changing it.XResearch source
- 2Identify the four major lines. There may be breaks in them or they may be short, but at least three of them are there.
- (1) The heart line
- (2) The head line
- (3) The life line
- (4) The fate line (only some people have this).
- 3Interpret the heart line. This line can be read in either direction (from the pinkie finger to the index finger or vice versa) depending on the tradition being followed. It's believed to indicate emotional stability, romantic perspectives, depression, and cardiac health. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Begins below the index finger - content with love life
- Begins below the middle finger - selfish when it comes to love
- Begins in the middle - falls in love easily
- Straight and short - less interest in romance
- Touches life line - heart is broken easily
- Long and curvy - freely expresses emotions and feelings
- Straight and parallel to the head line - good handle on emotions
- Wavy - many relationships and lovers, absence of serious relationships
- Circle on the line - sadness or depression
- Broken line - emotional trauma
- Smaller lines crossing through heart line - emotional trauma
- 4Examine the head line. This represents a person's learning style, communication approach, intellectualism, and thirst for knowledge. A curved line is associated with creativity and spontaneity, while a straight line is linked with practicality and a structured approach. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Short line - prefers physical achievements over mental ones
- Curved, sloping line - creativity
- Separated from life line - adventure, enthusiasm for life
- Wavy line - short attention span
- Deep, long line - thinking is clear and focused
- Straight line - thinks realistically
- Donuts or cross in head line - emotional crisis
- Broken head line - inconsistencies in thought
- Multiple crosses through head line - momentous decisions.
- 5Evaluate the life line. This begins near the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. It reflects physical health, general well-being, and major life changes (for example, cataclysmic events, physical injuries, and relocation). Its length is not associated with length of life. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Runs close to thumb - often tired
- Curvy - plenty of energy
- Long, deep - vitality
- Short and shallow - manipulated by others
- Swoops around in a semicircle - strength, and enthusiasm
- Straight and close to the edge of the palm - cautious when it comes to relationships
- Multiple life lines - extra vitality
- Circle in line indicates - hospitalized or injured
- Break - sudden change in lifestyle
- 6Study the fate line. This is also known as the line of destiny, and it indicates the degree to which a person's life is affected by external circumstances beyond their control. It begins at the base of the palm. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Deep line - strongly controlled by fate
- Breaks and changes of direction - prone to many changes in life from external forces
- Starts joined to life line - self-made individual; develops aspirations early on
- Joins with the life line around in the middle - signifies a point at which one's interests must be surrendered to those of others
- Starts at base of the thumb and crosses life line - support offered by family and friends.
Part 2Part 2 of 2:Interpreting the Hands, Fingers, etc.
- 1Determine the hand shape. Each hand shape is associated with certain character traits. The length of the palm is measured from the wrist to the bottom of the fingers. The basic interpretations are as follows:
- Earth - broad, square palms and fingers, thick or coarse skin, and ruddy color; length of the palm equals length of fingers
- Solid values and energy, sometimes stubborn
- Practical and responsible, sometimes materialistic
- Work with their hands, comfortable with the tangible
- Air - square or rectangular palms with long fingers and sometimes protruding knuckles, low-set thumbs, and dry skin; length of the palm less than length of fingers
- Sociable, talkative and witty
- Can be shallow, spiteful and cold
- Comfortable with the mental and the intangible
- Does things in different and radical ways
- Water - long, sometimes oval-shaped palm, with long, flexible, conical fingers; length of the palm equals the length of fingers but is less than the width across the widest part of the palm.
- Creative, perceptive and sympathetic
- Can be moody, emotional and inhibited
- Do things quietly and intuitively.
- Fire - square or rectangular palm, flushed or pink skin, and shorter fingers; length of the palm is greater than length of fingers
- Spontaneous, enthusiastic and optimistic
- Sometimes egoistic, impulsive and insensitive
- Do things boldly and instinctively.
- Earth - broad, square palms and fingers, thick or coarse skin, and ruddy color; length of the palm equals length of fingers
- 2Look at the mounts. That's what the fleshy bit below your fingers are called, on the opposite side of your knuckle. To make them visible, cup your hand just a bit. Which one is the largest?
- A high Venus mount (the one under your thumb) indicates a predisposition for hedonism, promiscuity, and the need for instant gratification. A non-existent Venus mount indicates little interest in family matters.
- The mount under your index finger is called the Jupiter mount. If this is well-developed, it means you are dominant, possibly self-centered, and aggressive. A lack of one means you lack confidence.
- Under your middle finger is the Saturn mount. A high mount shows you're stubborn, cynical, and prone to depression. If it is low, it's an indicator of superficiality and disorganization.
- The Sun mount is under your ring finger. You're quick-tempered, extravagant, and prideful if you have a high Sun mount. A low Sun mount means you lack imagination.
- The Mercury mount is under your pinkie. If it's protruding, you talk too much. A low mount means the opposite -- you're shy.
- None of this is based on science. And your hands are known to change throughout time. Don't take any of it too seriously!
- 3Examine the hand and finger size. Relative to the size of the body, some say that small hands are active and don't dwell on thinking about what to do. Large hands are on those who are contemplative and slow to action.XResearch source
- Remember, this is relative to the body. If you're 8 feet (2.4 m) tall (2.4 m), you're going to have bigger hands than a 4-year-old. It's all proportional.
- What's more, long fingers may be an indicator of anxiety, in addition to being well-mannered, good-looking, and delicate. Short fingers are found on those who are impatient, highly-sexed, and creative.
- Long fingernails, on the other hand, mean you're kind and a good secret-keeper. Short fingernails mean you're critical and sarcastic. If they're almond-shaped, you're sweet and diplomatic.XResearch source
- QuestionCan I use palm reading to predict how many children I’ll have?wikiHow Staff EditorThis answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Staff AnswerwikiHow Staff EditorStaff AnswerPalmists believe that the vertical lines under your little finger can give you indications about the number and gender of your future children. The lines may also branch off of a love line. Try to count the lines to get an idea of how many children you’ll have (although these lines can be faint and difficult to count). Broader and deeper lines are thought to indicate boys, while fainter lines are thought to indicate girls. Palmists also claim that broken or diverted lines could indicate that the child will have a health issue.
- QuestionWhich line can I look at to find out about marriage?wikiHow Staff EditorThis answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Staff AnswerwikiHow Staff EditorStaff AnswerLook at the “marriage lines” or “love lines,” which are small horizontal indentations on the outer side of your hand, under your little finger. You may have an easier time seeing them if you curl your hand into a fist. Each line or groove is thought to represent a different marriage, and deeper and longer grooves represent stronger or longer-lasting relationships. However, some palmists believe that these lines don’t distinguish between marriages and other types of romantic relationships.
- QuestionWhat does it mean if my fate line is absent?Community AnswerIt means you will shape your own future. Your fate is not predetermined.
- QuestionCan my hand lines change over time?Community AnswerYes, of course the lines in your hand change with time. For example, the length of life line of your hand indicates how healthy you are, and your health can definitely change over time depending on your age, level of activity, etc.
- QuestionIf you are selfish when it comes to love, what does that mean?Community AnswerThe term means that whenever a situation occurs which involves you and someone you love, you will always put yourself ahead of the other person. You want to receive a lot of love, but you don't necessarily want to give love.
- QuestionWhat does it mean to be strongly ruled by fate?Community AnswerIt means that many of the things that happen in your life are out of your control. Bigger forces than your own will are at work.
- QuestionWhat does it mean to be inconsistent in thoughts?Community AnswerHaving inconsistent thoughts means applying different principles or values at different times, resulting in ideas or conclusions that are not congruent with your values, or thoughts that are not congruent with each other. They contradict each other.
- QuestionShould every palm have all the lines?Community AnswerMost people can match most of the lines described here, but it's common to be missing one, or to have a network of lines that doesn't match perfectly. There are many different interpretations for what this means. Don't fall into the trap of trying to convince yourself that your palm matches what the palm reader says, if it's clearly different than this diagram.
- QuestionIs this based on science, or is it a form of fortune telling?Community AnswerThere is no scientific evidence for palmistry. It has its roots in many traditions found across Asia and the Middle East, as well as later resurgences in Europe.
- QuestionHow do you tell if you are going to have children?Community AnswerFind your child line. Make a fist with your right hand. Look on the outer side of your hand, near the pinky. The number of lines you have will be the number of children you produce (the line connecting the finger to the hand does not count as a child line). Of course, personal choice, birth control and success or failure to hitch up with someone will also have more concrete reasons to do with how many children you end up having.
- Accept that palm reading is not always accurate. The fate of your life and your decisions should not be influenced by fortune-telling; rather, your own efforts and fortitude are what really help you to succeed in life.
- Don't judge others while reading their palms!
- Don't believe everything. You can make your own decision, no matter what.
- Make sure the lighting in the area you are planning to read palms is good because trying to do it in the dark makes it difficult to get a good read.
- Find your child line. Make a fist with your right hand. Look on the outer side of your hand, near the pinky. The number of lines you have will be the number of children you produce (the line connecting the finger to the hand does not count as a child line). Of course, personal choice, birth control and success or failure to hitch up with someone will also have more concrete reasons to do with how many children you end up having.
- Don't concern yourself with the thinner and shallower lines. Only follow the main four that are deepest. Getting involved with the other lines could lead to unwanted confusion. Leave these lines for a professional.
- Don't give other people predictions too dark or hurtful, because it may have an influence on your own fortune and their feelings.
- The deeper the fate line (if you have one) is a good estimate of how long you live.
- Note the texture of the hand, front and back. Soft hands signify sensitivity and refinement, while rough hands signify a coarse temperament.
- Since palm lines change as you progress through life, palm reading is seen by many as an opportunity to reveal what's already happened, but not as a way of predicting the future.XResearch source
- If you're going to do read someone else's palms, keep it light. Don't make any dark predictions that will make people worry about their lives; you're no more "in-the-know" than any other person is. No-one is really confident about palm reading, so don't make predictions that influence others to harm themselves in any way or ruin their lives.
- Remember that palm reading is for entertainment purposes and there is no substantiated evidence of a correlation between palm features and psychological traits.
About This Article
To read palms, first locate the heart line, which is located at the top of the hand in the center of the palm. It's the closest line to the bottom of the fingers. If the heart line starts under the index finger, that means the person is content with their relationships. If it starts under the middle finger, they may struggle with interpersonal relationships. Under the heart line is the head line. If it’s straight, the person is more traditional, but if it's wavy, they may be a little more progressive. Next, find the life line, which is the line under the head line that starts at the thumb and angles down toward the wrist. This line represents the person's journey through life. A long life line means that their life will be filled with exciting, rich experiences, while a short line means that they'll experience independence and comfort throughout their life. If their life line is straight, their experiences will make them cautious and nervous. If it's curvy, their life will be eventful and full of vigor. Next to the life line in the center of the palm is the fate line. The fate line shows how dramatically a person’s life will be influenced by things that are out of their control. A thin, perfectly vertical fate line means that the person is totally in control over what happens in their life. Any broken or scarred lines could be a sign of past trauma and pain. To learn how to interpret what the lines on someone's palms mean, keep reading!