This article was co-authored by Ayad Mirjan. Ayad Mirjan is a Dry Cleaner and Laundry Specialist and the CEO and Founder of OrangeBag®. He specializes in providing easy laundry and dry-cleaning solutions for busy professionals. Ayad received his Bachelor's degree from The University of California, San Diego and an MBA from Henley Business School. He is also a board member of Entrepreneur's Organization, Accelerator (EOA).
There are 11 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has 15 testimonials from our readers, earning it our reader-approved status.
This article has been viewed 2,647,978 times.
Having wrinkles in your clothes can distract other people from appreciating how awesome your outfit looks. Even if you don't have an iron, you can easily take wrinkles out of your clothes so you can show off your style!
Method 1Method 1 of 3:Using Alternative Means to Remove Wrinkles
- 1Put the clothing in a clothes dryer with an ice cube. Tumble drying clothing is a great way to remove wrinkles.Put the setting on medium, and dry the clothing for about 15 minutes.
- Hang the clothes up right after removing them from the dryer so that wrinkles don't come back. Or wear them right away. If you leave the clothes in the dryer for a long time after the cycle ends or toss them into a clothes basket, the wrinkles will probably return.
- Put a couple ice cubes into the dryer or mist the clothing with water before drying them. XResearch sourceThe ice cubes will melt, and turn into steam, which will help remove the wrinkles from the clothing. Or you could put a damp sock into the dryer with the wrinkled clothing. XResearch source
- 2Try putting the wrinkled clothing in the shower. Many people have found this method will remove wrinkles fast. Start the shower, and put the water on hot. Close your bathroom door so the steam can't get out.
Shower Steaming Quick Tips
Hanging your clothes: Make sure your shower rod is clean so it won't leave any marks on the clothing. Then, hang the clothes on the rod itself or on a hanger you put on the rod.
Seal the room: Seal the bathroom (the smaller the better) for air leaks -- shut windows, block the space under the door.
Close but still dry: Get the clothes as close to the heat and water as you can without getting them wet. Direct the shower head away from the clothing to divert the stream. It's not good enough to just hang the clothes in the bathroom a distance from the shower head — get them as close as you can!
Give it time: It takes about 15 minutes of steam to get rid of wrinkles. To save water, consider taking a shower while you do this.XResearch sourceAdvertisement
- 3Buy or make a wrinkle-removing spray. You can find common wrinkle-removing sprays at the grocery store.XExpert SourceBridgett Price
House Cleaning ProfessionalExpert Interview. 23 May 2019. The clothing needs to be damp for the spray to work, but it will remove wrinkles. You can also make homemade sprays.
Using Wrinkle Releaser
Making your own: Mix 1 c (240 mL) of water and 1 US tbsp (15 mL) of fabric softener in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle thoroughly, and test it on a small piece of the fabric to make sure that it won't discolor or stain it. If it looks fine, generously spray the garment while gently pulling it taut to remove the wrinkles. Spray the clothing until it's damp, but not so much that it is soaked in the mixture.XResearch source
Let it dry: After spraying your clothing, hang it out until it's completely dry. Hang whites outside in the sun to make them brighter, but don't hang colored clothes in the sun. This can bleach them.
Use it in a pinch: When you're on-the-go and ironing isn't possible, keep a small spray bottle of this in your desk at work or in the car.XResearch source
Method 2Method 2 of 3:Using Makeshift Irons
- 1Try using the bottom of a heated pot as the iron. Take a pot the size that you would boil noodles in. Boil water in it. Then, dump the water out. Use the bottom of the pot as an iron.
- The downside of this approach is that you have to be careful not to burn yourself, as well as the clothing. And the heat will be inconsistent because the pot could cool fast and is a circular shape.
- Still, it's better than wearing a wrinkled shirt, and this method should help you remove at least some wrinkles.
- 2Use a flat iron as an iron. Usually, flat irons are used for curling your hair. However, you could also use the device to iron at least a small section of clothing. A flat iron works really well for reaching areas that are very hard to iron, such as a shirt collar.
- It's also useful that the iron clamps down on the clothing, meaning it will apply more direct heat than another method, such as a blow dryer.
- Make sure that you clean the iron first. If you leave hair products on it, like hairspray, they could mar your clothes. Be aware that the products could transfer from your hair onto the iron with each use.XResearch source
- You could burn your shirt if you press the flat iron onto the clothing for too long, so be careful. You should not use a curling iron with a round barrel for this.
Method 3Method 3 of 3:Trying Something Different Against Wrinkles
- 1Use a blow dryer.XExpert SourceAyad Mirjan
Dry Cleaner & Laundry SpecialistExpert Interview. 11 August 2021. In order for a blow dryer to work, you need to dampen the clothing first. Don't douse it. Just make it a little wet, perhaps with a spray bottle. Then,turn the dryer on the lowest setting.A plastic focusing tip really helps.
- Hold the dryer about two inches away from the clothing so you don't make it too hot. You don't want to burn the clothing or otherwise damage it.
- You could also hang the wrinkled clothing first, and then direct the blow dryer's heat on it, again standing one or two inches away.
- If the wrinkles are still visible, try to place your garment under your mattress overnight. This may work well with t-shirts, shorts, pants, and sweatshirts.XExpert SourceAyad Mirjan
Dry Cleaner & Laundry SpecialistExpert Interview. 11 August 2021.
- 2Roll or flatten the clothes. Maybe you're in a situation where you don't have any way to apply heat or steam to your clothes. You're in luck. You could try rolling or flattening it.
How to Roll or Flatten Clothes
These methods will take a little longer than usual, but with some smoothing from your hands through the towel, your clothes should be relatively wrinkle free.
Rolling clothes: Take the wrinkled clothing and roll it up very tightly. Make it look like a burrito. Then, place it under a mattress or something else heavy for about an hour. When you remove the clothing and unroll it, there should be fewer wrinkles.
Flattening the clothing: Place the wrinkled clothing on a flat surface. Dampen a towel (or a paper towel if you don't have a bath towel). Put the towel on top of the clothing (where the wrinkled area is). Press down. Then let it dry. XResearch source
- 3Use a tea kettle. Steam removes wrinkles, so you could boil water in a tea kettle. You want tohold the clothing about 12 inches away from the tea kettle's steaming spout,though, or you could damage the clothing. XResearch source
- One benefit of this approach is you can drink a cup of tea afterwards! This approach works well for small problem areas on the clothing.
- If you have a larger wrinkled garment, it's best to use the steam from a hot shower instead.
- QuestionHow can I remove wrinkles from my clothes while I am at work or school?Community AnswerYou can lightly spray water on the clothes and dry them under the hand drier in the bathroom.
- QuestionHow can I remove wrinkles from a skirt that is made to be wrinkled, but has wrinkles from being folded in shipping?Community AnswerYou can use a steamer. It won't remove the purposeful creases, but it will take away the folding wrinkles.
- QuestionHow do I remove wrinkles from a garment that has been dyed?Community AnswerAn ice cube or steam should still work. Be sure not to get the clothing wet. If you are really worried it'll run, take a roller from the kitchen and tightly roll the shirt against it. Let sit for about five minutes and then flatten out the clothing.
- QuestionCan I put a single dry piece of clothing in the dryer for 15 minutes to remove wrinkles?Community AnswerYes, you can. Make sure to dampen a small item like a sock to include in the dryer to "steam" out the wrinkles. Use a medium heat setting.
- QuestionHow do I get wrinkles out of a shirt collar?Community AnswerYou could use the flat iron that women use to straighten their hair--just make sure that it does not have any hair product left on it.
- QuestionWhat is the fastest option?Community AnswerRolling something heavy over the clothes on a mattress is fast.
- QuestionCan I use a curling iron instead?Community AnswerYou may be able to make it work, but that is not a recommended way to use a curling iron. If you want to try it, just be careful.
- QuestionHow do I remove wrinkles caused by a dryer?Community AnswerYou may need to use an iron or a steamer.
- QuestionHow can I get wrinkles out of my hair without any hair appliances?Community AnswerBrush your hair, then spritz some cold water on it and brush or comb it again, then let it dry.
- QuestionIs there any method that takes less than 30 minutes?Community AnswerThe two best methods for efficiency are probably taking a shower and using the steam or using a hair straightener.
- If you need to go over seas or travel, you can make more space and have fewer wrinkles by rolling it instead of folding it.
- If you have an iron, but only have time to iron one thing, make it the collar. It's too close to your face to ignore. People will be sure to see the wrinkles.
- Don't use stretching methods too much, otherwise your clothes will stretch out.
- When traveling, unpack tomorrow's clothes straight to the towel hangers in the shower area for 'automatic' touch ups when showering the next morning. Plus, then you can also check to see if they need more major work, including a steaming shower for the night.
- Using a dryer sheet in the dryer method will prevent static cling in your clothes, and may add a refreshing scent if you choose the right brand.
- The shower rod method takes a lot of trial and error--don't start with an expensive item of clothing, as it may get soaked.
- Put something heavy on the wrinkled area of clothing and place it on the wrinkled area. Repeatedly press down on it for about ten seconds.
- To remove wrinkles from polyester items, you can wash and dry them or use steamers.
- ↑Bridgett Price. House Cleaning Professional. Expert Interview. 23 May 2019.
- ↑Ayad Mirjan. Dry Cleaner & Laundry Specialist. Expert Interview. 11 August 2021.
- ↑Ayad Mirjan. Dry Cleaner & Laundry Specialist. Expert Interview. 11 August 2021.
About This Article
If your clothes are wrinkled, but you don’t have an iron, don’t worry. There are several alternatives you can try to get your clothing looking tidy and wrinkle-free. One simple method is to toss the wrinkled item into the dryer with a couple of ice cubes. Set the dryer on medium heat and tumble the garment for 15 minutes. The ice will melt and turn into steam in the dryer, which will help relax any wrinkles. When the drying cycle is done, hang up your clothes or put them on right away to prevent them from getting wrinkled again. Another option is to hang up the wrinkled item on the curtain rod in your shower. Turn on the shower, making sure the water is nice and hot so the room gets steamy. Close the doors and windows so plenty of steam builds up in your bathroom, and position your clothing so it’s as close to the hot water as possible without actually getting wet. Let the shower run for about 15 minutes so the steam has time to work its magic. If steaming your wrinkly clothes isn’t an option, try a wrinkle removing spray. Hang your item up or lay it out flat. Spray on the wrinkle remover until the garment is damp, but not soaking wet. Gently pull the cloth taut while you work to help flatten out the wrinkles. Then, hang the item up somewhere to dry. Let it dry completely before you wear it. Can’t find wrinkle remover in the store? Make your own by mixing 1 cup (237 mL) of water with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of fabric softener in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture up thoroughly before spritzing it on your garment. In a pinch, you can also create a makeshift iron using household items. For example, bring water to a boil in a pot, then dump the water out. While the pot is still hot, carefully drag the flat bottom over your garment to smooth out the wrinkles, just like you would with an iron. You can also try using a flat iron designed for straightening hair. Just make sure the iron is free of hair products and other residues first, so you don’t stain your clothes. With either of these methods, be careful that you don’t burn yourself or your clothes. Always put your garments on a flat surface, such as a table or ironing board, before ironing them. For tips on how to create a makeshift iron, keep reading!
Reader Success Stories
- "I needed to take a shower anyways, so I hung my jacket on the rod of the curtains and just did what I normally do. After I was done, I checked on it and, boom! The major wrinkles were gone, but there were still many wrinkles. At least I can wear it!"..." more